– Number of times Iraqis vote since 2003 (incl. tomorrow’s): 5
– Electorate: 15million (out of a population of approx. 27milllion.. we are a very young nation..yeah!)
– Candidates up for election Iraq-wide: 14,428… yes you read that’s fourteen thousand, four hundred and twenty eight! Either they we’ve all really really embraced democracy or they don’t know what the job is about and they think it’s just easy money).
– Number of seats these +14k are fighting to nab for themselves: 440 (that’s 32.7 candidates per seat!)
– Candidates for Baghdad Council: 2371
– Number of seats on Baghdad’s Council: 57 (41.6 per wannabe ‘council member’ per seat.. there will be tears.. a lot of tears).
– Number of Candidates who used forged school certificates to be eligible for candidacy: 39 (as of 26th of January according to the Iraqi Electoral Commision)
– Number of candidates who’ve been kicked out of ballot lists in attempt to ‘de-baathify’ list: 52 (as of 26th of January according to the Iraqi Electoral Commision)
– Number of provinces in Iraq: 18
– Number of provinces voting in this election: 14 – Kurdistan doesn’t want to as it’s a region and Kirkuk… ahh poor Kirkuk… too many fighting factions over that oil rich province.. no one know what to do.. not even Joe Biden.
– Province with biggest council: Baghdad 57 seats
– Province with smallest council: Muthana 26 seats
– Number of FOREIGN journalists registered with Iraqi Electoral Commission to cover elections: 358
– Number of IRAQI journalists registered with Iraqi Electoral Commission to cover elections: 1629 (who knew we had that many journalists!)
*** will be updated as more as I find out about more numbers